Alabama Historical Association
(Redirected from Alabama Review)
The Alabama Historical Association (est. 1947) of Alabama, United States, is an historical society that aims to "discover, procure, preserve, and diffuse whatever may relate to the natural, civil, literary, cultural, economic, ecclesiastical, and political history of the state of Alabama." James Frederick Sulzby (1905-1988) served as president of the organization from 1947 through 1949. In 1948 the group launched the quarterly journal Alabama Review (ISSN 0002-4341). It also oversees a program of historical markers throughout the state. Membership meetings are held at least annually.
As of 2022, the president of AHA is Jim Bagget of the Birmingham Public Library.
- Alabama Department of Archives and History (est. 1901), government agency
- Alabama Historical Commission (est. 1966), government agency
- Alabama Historical Society (1850-1905)
- ^ "About". Alabama Historical Association. Archived from the original on February 20, 2017. Retrieved March 25, 2017.
- ^ American Association for State and Local History (2002). Directory of Historical Organizations in the United States and Canada (15th ed.). ISBN 0759100020.
- ^ Rice 1997.
- ^ "James Frederick Sulzby Jr". Alabama Authors. Alabama Library Association – via University of Alabama Libraries.
- ^ Alabama review: a quarterly journal of Alabama history. WorldCat. OCLC. OCLC 473940177.
- ^ "Trail of Tears marker to be dedicated at Rhodes Ferry Park", Decatur Daily, Chicago: Tribune Content Agency, May 5, 2016
- ^ "Historical association to meet in Gadsden", Gadsden Times, April 8, 2010
- ^ Amy H. Wilson, ed. (2017). "Local History in Alabama". Encyclopedia of Local History (3rd ed.). Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. ISBN 978-1-4422-7878-3.
- James F. Sulzby, Jr. (1988). "Alabama Historical Association: Human Retrospection of Forty Years". Alabama. Review. 41.
- Leah Rawls Atkins (1997). "Alabama Historical Association: The First Fifty Years" (PDF). Alabama Review. 50.
- Donald C. Rice (1997). "Biographical Sketches of the Presidents of the Alabama Historical Association: Part I, First through Twelfth Presidents, 1947-1960". Alabama Review. 50. Archived from the original on 2017-03-25. Retrieved 2017-03-25.
- Norwood Kerr (2009). "Roadside Stories". Alabama Heritage. 91. (About historical markers)