Leeds Building Society
Leeds Building Society is a building society based in Leeds, England. It serves approximately 719,000 customers across the United Kingdom, who together hold £9.9 billion in savings balances and is the fifth largest building society in the UK.
|Type||Building Society (Mutual)|
|Headquarters||Leeds, England, UK|
Number of locations
|Richard Fearon, CEO (February 2019 - Present) |
|Products||Savings, Mortgages, Investments, Insurance, Financial Planning|
|£66.2 million GBP (December 2019), 12% on 2018|
|Total assets||£20.8 billion GBP (December 2019), 7.2% on 2018|
Number of employees
|1,426 (March 2019)|
The society was registered as the Leeds and Holbeck (Permanent) Building Society in 1875, though the society originated from a group called the Leeds Union Operative Land and Building Society which formed in 1845. The society was renamed to Leeds Building Society in September 2005. It has 65 branches across the UK, with 29 located in Yorkshire, and previously had two international branches located in Gibraltar and Dublin, Ireland. The head office is located on Sovereign Street in Leeds city centre.
It should not be confused with the defunct Leeds Permanent Building Society, which was also known as The Leeds, which merged with the Halifax Building Society on 1 August 1995.
On 1 August 2006, following approval by the Mercantile members and confirmation by the Financial Services Authority (FSA), Leeds Building Society merged with Mercantile Building Society, in North Shields, an area of North Tyneside, in Tyne and Wear. Mercantile members overwhelmingly supported the proposal at the Society’s AGM at the end of April with 97% of the votes in favour of the merger. It is a member of the Building Societies Association.
The Leeds Building Society is also the main shirt sponsor of the Super League rugby league side Leeds Rhinos.
- ^ "About the Board of Directors - Leeds Building Society". www.leedsbuildingsociety.co.uk. Retrieved 7 February 2019.
- ^ "Leeds Building Society, LBS:LSE profile". Financial Times.
- ^ "Leeds Building Society reaffirms support for homeowners wanting to switch mortgage | Press Releases | Leeds Building Society".
- ^ "Leeds Building society achieves Leaders in Diversity accreditation". 26 October 2018.
- ^ "History Of LBS - Leeds Building Society". www.leedsbuildingsociety.co.uk. Retrieved 7 February 2019.
- ^ Building Society Mergers and Conversions since 1980 Archived 2011-07-24 at the Wayback Machine Building Societies Association website (Retrieved 5 April 2007)
- ^ "Mergers and Conversion". Building Societies Association. 1 July 2013. Archived from the original on 23 April 2014. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- ^ "Leeds Rhinos Samaritans shirts go up for auction". 18 October 2019.
- ^ "Leeds and Holbeck Building Society". Heraldry of the World. Retrieved 25 September 2021.