Pathamadai or Pattamadai is a special grade town panchayath in Tirunelveli district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
special grade town panchayath
|Coordinates: 8°39′51″N 77°34′56″E / 8.664167°N 77.582222°E|
|• Body||Town Panchayat|
|Elevation||61 m (200 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||TN 76|
|Nearest city||Palayamkottai, Ambasamudram|
|Sex ratio||1:1 ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Tirunelveli|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Ambasamudram|
As of 2011[update] India census, Pattamadai had a population of 14,965. Males constitute 49% of the population and females 51%. Pattamadai has an average literacy rate of 72%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 80%, and female literacy is 66%. In Pattamadai, 11% of the population is under age 6.
Mats of PathamadaiEdit
Pathamadai has a mat industry which produces mats crafted out of korai grass (Reed plant) also called as Indian Chattai. They are flexible and have been gifted to leaders like Nikolai Bulganin and Nikita Khrushchev.
- Sivananda Saraswati, Hindu spiritual teacher and a proponent of Yoga and Vedanta.
- Madurai Sundar, Carnatic musician
- ^ "Census of India 2001". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- ^ "Sole stories". The Hindu. India. 10 July 2010.
- ^ "Grass mats still hold their own here". Business Line. Chennai, India. 4 November 2005.