The Vulcan Award of the Technical Artist (French: Prix Vulcain de l’Artiste Technicien) is an independent film award created in 2003. It rewards the work of a technician for his or her collaboration in the creation of a film from the official selection of the Cannes Film Festival. It is awarded by a special jury, appointed by the Superior Technical Commission of Image and Sound (French: Commission Supérieure Technique de l’Image et du Son or CST).
|Awarded for||The work of a technician for his collaboration to the creation of a film|
|First awarded||2003 (1951)|
In 1951, the CST created the Technical Grand Prize (French: Grand Prix Technique) of the CST, awarded during the Cannes Film Festival. That prize existed until 2001.
In 2003, Pierre-William Glenn, president of the CST, struggled to once again have a prize awarded to a technician during the Cannes Film Festival. Thus, the Vulcan Award of the Technical Artist was born as a part of the festival roster and approved by the festival's president Gilles Jacob.
Since 2021, the CST has also been awarding the CST Young Female Film Technician Prize, to highlight a young female head of station in French cinema.
The actual trophy is awarded to the winner in Paris, during a special evening following the festival.
It is inspired by an image from Jean-Luc Godard's movie Le Mépris (Contempt) (1963) and represents a movie camera with analog and numeric elements.
Vulcan Award (since 2003)Edit
Technical Grand Prize (1951-2001)Edit
- ^ "Prix de l'artiste technicien – Prix VULCAIN". Récompenses de l'excellence. CST. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- ^ a b "Un peu d'histoire". Récompenses de l'excellence. CST. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- ^ Klimberg, Par Nathalie (2021-06-17). "Mediakwest - Un Prix CST de la Jeune Technicienne à Cannes !". Mediakwest (in French). Retrieved 2022-09-14.
- ^ "Le Trophée du Prix Vulcain de l'Artiste Technicien". Récompenses de l'excellence. CST. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- ^ "Les lauréats". Récompenses de l'excellence. CST. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- ^ "Prix Vulcain 2017 : La CST récompense Josefin ÅSBERG, décoratrice de The Square" [Vulcan Award 2017: CST rewards Josefin Åsberg, decorator of The Square]. CST (in French). 29 May 2017. Retrieved 29 May 2017.
- ^ "Josefin Åsberg". Cannes Film Festival. Retrieved 29 May 2017.